While it seems like cold days will never end, the warmer temperatures will soon be here once again. The transition from winter to spring is often a welcomed change of seasons as green shoots begin sprouting from the ground and buds start forming on branches. As we wait for spring’s arrival, we can help give our landscape a head start with some basic winter care. So in February and March get your landscape ready for the growing season.
- Prune fruit trees, berry plants and grapevines.
- Do not prune spring flowering shrubs and trees
- Clean out your containers and get them ready for spring planting.
- Cut back ornamental grasses and perennials.
- Begin spring cleanup projects, prune summer flowering shrubs before new growth emerges.
- Check for disease and spray as required
- Fertilize trees and shrubs
- Transplant trees and shrubs once the ground softens
- Apply pre-emergent weed control
- Remove winter protection from shrubs and trees after St. Patrick’s Day.
Do Not Forget the Hardscapes
This is the best time to install hardscapes, the bigger point is that most gardens really, really need some. Paths and patios and water features and fireplaces are the elements that make a garden not just more beautiful but usable. Consider your hardscapes such as sidewalks, walkways and driveways they take a beating during cold weather, too. Extreme temperature changes can cause concrete to expand and crack. Excessive salt accumulation can wear away at surfaces. If they need a little repair now is the time to do it.
Late winter is also a great time to start thinking about your landscaping contractor needs for the upcoming spring and summer seasons. Whether you have basic upkeep concerns or want to completely overhaul your landscape design.
Please don’t wait until the last minute to schedule your cleanup, fertilization, or application of pre-emergent herbicide. You want to make sure it gets done at the right time so you can make the most of your growing season!
Contact Us (859-384-0266) for a Free Consultation!
About A & A Lawn Care & Landscaping
A & A Lawn Care & Landscaping can beautify your lawn and landscaping using our vast experience in turf grass management. Our complete lawn service is designed for both residential and commercial lawns and we keep your lawn healthy without harming your family, staff, or pets.