Is your lawn looking thin and brown? Well, we can help you get back to the thick, lush, green lawn you’ve always wanted and all you need to do is reseed. The fall is the best time to reseed when the air is cooling down but the soil is still warm.
Why It’s Best to Reseed in the Fall
The fall allows grasses to establish before winter sets in. Two months before the first frost is the best time. Fewer weeds and fewer active lawn diseases occur during the fall therefore your grass will not have to compete for access to sun and water. Sunlight begins to increase during fall as the tree leaves begin to drop. Healthy lawns require a lot of moisture, making spring the second most popular (but less ideal) season for seeding.
Why the Spring Is the 2nd Best Time to Reseed
The moisture and warm air are beneficial to grass growth but there are a few things about spring that make it less than ideal for reseeding. Spring provides a good environment for crabgrass and weeds to begin germinating, which causes grass to have to compete for the nutrients it needs to thrive. Then summer comes around with its hot temperatures and lack of rainfall, which are undesirable stresses to your new lawn.
Keep the Following In Mind While and After You Reseed…
- Debris, whether a thick layer of leaves or a thin layer of seed pods, blocks sunlight. Break up soil compaction and remove excessive thatch with an aeration.
- Grass needs 1 inch of water a week. If this is not supplied by rain irrigate the portions of the lawn that are highly stressed.
- Help your lawn develop a healthy root system by applying a seed starting fertilizer.
- Use a seed spreader – Once you finish spreading the seed use a rake to lightly work the seed into the soil at a depth of about ¼ inch.
- Normally it is best to raise the mowing height of your mower. But when planting seed mow low, this will help grass seed reach the soil more easily.
You could try to do it yourself
You could call the pros at A & A Lawn Care & Landscaping to help you do it right the first time! We help our residential and commercial clients with their lawns and landscaping everyday!
Contact Us (859-384-0266) for a Free Consultation!
About A & A Lawn Care & Landscaping
A & A Lawn Care & Landscaping can beautify your lawn and landscaping using our vast experience in turf grass management. Our complete lawn service is designed for both residential and commercial lawns and we keep your lawn healthy without harming your family, staff, or pets.
A & A Lawn Care & Landscaping’s Lawn Care Program
>> Learn More <<